Monday, September 6, 2010

In Which She Makes Him Dinner


Season 2, Episode 20
The Glowing Bones in the Old Stone House


BOOTH: Look, I’m just saying! You know, you believe in love, don’t you?
BRENNAN: I believe that dopamine and norepinephrine simulate euphoria because of certain biological triggers like scent, symmetrical features...
BOOTH: Symmetrical features.
BRENNAN: Yes, it’s an indication of a good breeder. You appear to be a very good breeder.
MAJOR: (laughing) How long have you two been going out?
BRENNAN: What?
BRENNAN and BOOTH (in UNISON): We’re...
[Brennan and Booth accidentally knock the helmets of their radiation suits together, pause, and glare at each other]
BRENNAN and BOOTH (in UNISON, CONT’D): We’re partners.
BRENNAN: That’s it.

Bones (the show, not the person) has always had the balance just right, I think, of how often they have someone mistake them for a couple. I've seen shows where every damn episode they have someone mistake their meant-to-be couple for an actual couple, and I've seen shows where they should have done it and they never did. It's a great device to use, but it becomes annoying and meaningless if used too often.

BRENNAN: I’ve always understood the basics of cooking, the physics of it, but... Carly said she was going to show me what it was really about. To her, she said that it was a way of... well, she said “loving,” but then, she was prone to hyperbole.
BOOTH: Well hey, I mean, that’s what family dinners are all about, right? Those are some of my, uh, my best memories.
BRENNAN: I’m not as cold as everyone thinks, Booth.
BOOTH: Okay, that was a leap.
BRENNAN: Just because I think marriage is an antiquated ritual doesn’t mean that I don’t want Angela and Hodgins to be happy. I have an appreciation and a need for emotional and physical intercourse, just like you.
BOOTH: Yeah. Sure. I mean, okay, good for you with that.
BRENNAN: Did I make you uncomfortable?
BOOTH: No. Not at all. I just wanna focus. Let’s just focus on the- on the case.
BRENNAN: I did make you uncomfortable.

Although part of the reason Booth tends to get uncomfortable when Brennan talks about anything to do with her and sex is because he doesn't want to even start to imagine her, his lady scientist, his partner, his Bones, having sex with some guy, I think it goes farther than that. I think a large part of it is the terminology. Anything to do with “intercourse”, oh god, forget about it, he's becomes mr. awkward turtle times a million. “Sex” is better, but still grounds for a change of subject. But only about five episodes from now, in the beginning of season 3, is when we get his “making love” speech. And then, he's fine with it. True, it's not specifically about her, which is why I conceded that a large part of it is that it's about sex and her. But part of it is the terminology.

BOOTH: You know, you should let me help.
BRENNAN: No.
[Brennan brings a bowl in from the kitchen and sets it in front of Booth.]
BRENNAN (CONT’D): Cleaning up. You can do that.
BOOTH: Great. Wow! (Booth giggles) Mac and cheese!
[Brennan returns to the kitchen, gets a bowl for herself, and joins Booth at the table.]
BOOTH (CONT’D): Wow! Bones! This- this looks fantastic!
BRENNAN: Yeah? Really?
BOOTH: Oh, I mean, you shouldn’t have, I mean, all this work just for me?
BRENNAN: What? No, I mean. It wasn’t that much.
BOOTH: (Eating the mac and cheese) Mmm. (He gazes happily at Brennan) This is unbelievable.
BRENNAN: You like it?
BOOTH: I’d like to be alone with it. (He laughs)
BRENNAN: She said I could go with my instincts, so I put in a little fresh ground nutmeg.
BOOTH: Well, she taught you well. Thanks, Bones.
BRENNAN: Yeah, well, you know. We have to eat, right?
BOOTH: Yeah. Gotta eat. Always gotta eat.

She made him dinner.

She made him dinner.

Yep, it's time for a FANGIRL MOMENT:
SHE MADE HIM FRIGGIN' DINNER. COULD SHE BE ANY MORE OBVIOUS THAT SHE LIKES HIM? COULD THEY BE ANY MORE CUTE? <3<3

No comments:

Post a Comment