Wednesday, August 25, 2010

In Which Booth and Bones go to LA


Season 1, Episode 10
The Woman at the Airport

The progression in their relationship, aspect of it that we are reminded of, however you wish to classify it, in this this episode, is their complementary nature in their work.

Booth: Everybody in this city thinks they’re ugly, huh, and nobody is. I’m starting to get why you hate anonymous death so much.
Bones: We were born unique. Our experiences mold and change us. We become someone. All of us and to have that taken away by murder, to be erased from existence against our will, it’s just…
Booth: Evil?
Bones: Unacceptable.  These bones you bring me, I give them a face. I say their names out loud. I return them to their loved ones and you arrest the bad guy.  I like that.
Booth: So do I.

She does one thing, he does the other.

Booth: You know Bones, you do your thing.  I do mine.

His thing is impossible without her thing, her thing is unsatisfactory without his thing.
A lovely setting up of the foundation for later for the parallels between the realities of their work and the realities of their relationship.

1 comment:

  1. Another wonderful episode! So many classic moments - the Mustang, Bones's oblivious, loud, rude comments in the plastic surgeon's waiting room (and Booth's affectionate eye-rolling), and the iconic, poignant closing scene I think at the end, when Booth confronts the inadvertent killer at the rooftop bar, with Depeche Mode's Precious playing, and the cameras swooping away taking in the skyline. Fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete