Thursday, February 17, 2011

In Which It's A Valentine's Day Massacre

Season 6, Episode 14
The Bikini in the Soup


Who's got two thumbs, speaks limited Spanish, and got out of rehearsal early so she got to watch the show this week actually when it aired?
THIS GAL!

So, I've noticed something: every time something goes down (the hundredth episode, doctor in the photo, and now Booth's drunken ultimatum) with them, afterward, the next day, episode, whatever it is, they are perfectly fine, they act like everything is ok, except in their first case. During their first case, after he tried to fire her after getting her drunk and they made out but she wouldn't go home with him and that whole thing, they blew completely UP at each other the next day. And that is the only time (that we know of) when that has happened. With all the other shit they've been through, shit way worse than that first case, they hardly say a peep to each other about it the next day, if anything at all.

It makes sense, though. In that first case, they weren't in love. They could sense their attraction, obviously, and Booth definitely sensed that they could have more than that attraction, but they didn't know each other like they did at the end of season two, three, five. And so when both their personalities and values got insulted by the other, they didn't have much to lose by laying it all out on them. They didn't have this partnership, this underlying bond, to lose yet.

Now, they do. They have everything to lose.
So they stay quiet.

But enough about that. Let's talk about Cam's little slip. The “I'm not that much older than you and I have someone” line.
COME ON, CAM. REALLY NOW.
But, oh no. Look at Bones. Very little reaction, physically, at least. “No, you're correct”. Oh, Bones. :(
Her lack of a larger physical reaction, though, is not a good sign. It means she's going back into herself, going back to compartmentalizing, hyper-rationality, etc. Which, again, makes sense, considering what just happened to her with Booth, and her not even having Booth to talk about it with.

(also, not saying that Booth can't hold his liquor, but with how utterly drunk he was, I wonder how much he actually remembers about that conversation. Obviously, he'll probably remember at least talking to Brennan, but whether he remembers the specifics, or the ultimatum itself, at all... I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't remember it all, or if it was at the very least fuzzy.)

Now, I'm not sure there's much really to be derived from it, but the phrase of “moved on” with Booth is an interesting thing. That's what it was with Brennan - “I've got to move on” - and now he's saying it again with Hannah - “I've moved on.” Yes, it's a common phrase for getting past an unsuccessful relationship... but there could be something there, I believe. Perhaps in the fact that with Brennan, if my memory is serving me right, he never actually said he had “moved on” from her until he met Hannah, and now with the Hannah break-up, just an episode later, he's said he's “moved on”.

Curious.
Just saying.

“Are you happy?” “I'm happy!”
I remember this part, I don't remember the context, all I wrote while it was happening was “CUTE!”, so. There you go. CUTE.

Unrelated to B&B, but Brennan after Booth is all “Has your acting gotten better?” is one of the most adorable things I've seen all week.
It just needed to be said.


And then, finally, the end. The scene those of us who read spoilers have been waiting for for weeks to find out exactly what activity they would be doing that was “very Booth and Brennan” when they “spent Valentine's Day together, alone.”
Honestly, I feel dumb for not figuring it out earlier.
Of COURSE they are going to shoot together on Valentine's Day. Of COURSE.

Her giving him a Valentine's Day gift is something on which to be ruminated, though, considering the last episode.
Two possibilities pop out to me (there are more than two, obviously, but these two are the most obviously possible): 1) She's going back into herself, like I said earlier, denying everything, denying her feelings, denying what happened has any effect on her, and so, just treats it like any normal time, treating Booth as she would any other time were he to break up with someone he loved, or 2) She knows he was drunk. She believes, or wants to believe, he didn't actually entirely mean what he said, and she thinks that even if he did mean it, that she'll take it, because losing him in general is infinitely worse than losing him as a romantic prospect. And she understands that he's in a horrible, awful place right now. She's sensitive (Brennan, sensitive?! Gasp!) to his needs. And so she brings him 1920's guns as a valentine's gift.

Were this to have happened pre-6.09, I'd probably go with option one as most likely.
But not now. Not after she had that breakthrough. I still believe she is logical, rational, etc., and I still believe after emotional events, like the last episode, she will temporarily go back into robot-mode (at least on the outside), but I think now it is temporary and fleeting, as opposed to the beginning of this season, where it just got progressively worse and worse.


So she brings him his guns. And they shoot. And talk in 1920's slang.
And he looks at her. He has a prolonged look at her.
I repeat:
PROLONGED LOOK AT HER.

There's the money shot, kiddos. That's always the sign, moreso than anything, than his words, than his cocky belt buckle. His prolonged looks at her are always the giveaway, because he cannot control them. He has never been able to keep his eyes off her. And he still can't.

Ultimatum?
What ultimatum?

See you in three weeks.  

10 comments:

  1. Got to love the prolonged looks at Brennan. I have to admit I got a kick out her turning down all those guys. Okay, so there was like four. It was entertaining. Yay! For limited amount of angst.

    I had originally thought we only had to wait two weeks and then yesterday there was mention of three weeks and was like well that sucks. Ugh, AI is a pain they're the reason Bones is preempted for at least two of the three weeks. Anyway, I am super glad you got to watch it when it aired because I am always interested in seeing what you have to say as soon as possible. Thank you.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell yes Leila!

    "Ultimatum?
    What ultimatum?"

    Exactly. There is no way that these 2 were ever going to be just partners, regardless of what drunken Booth said in anger. I can't believe what a TIZZ people got into over this.

    Anyway, I loved that Brennan invited herself along, got him a gift, wished him a Happy Valentine's Day and laughed and spent the evening with him. Why? Because it shows that she did not go back in her shell, but rather took some steps, was there for Booth and put herself out there. She knows him, listens to him and looked great too ;)

    Sure, Booth needs to heal and LEARN TO LISTEN to someone other than Sweets..., but everything happens eventually.

    You know, I felt like a giant weight was lifted off my shoulders watching this - the H storyline is over, B&B are back on equal footing and the door is definitely open. Plus there was no trenchcoat in sight - rather a Season 3 blazer which always made Brennan look so hot and sexy and classy.

    Happy days are here again!

    *hugs*
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was a cute episode and the ending was a good start for B&B! Brennan, to me, clearly wanted to be with Booth on this night and she's making efforts to show him she's there for him. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the reason plays out. I do hope they get them together at the end of this season!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. two stand out things for me that episode, the look on Brennans face when Cam said that horrible shit to her in the lab... Kudos really needs to be given to Emily for how well she played that extremely wounded look on her face..!
    And Booth at the firing range looking at Brennan..
    how well do ED and DB do the eyes thing, honestly, they play these characters so understated and so well, why the hell havent they won awards as of yet???

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wait, three things... those two i just wrote about and how freaking gross that body was.. like seriously dude.. EWWWWW hahah

    ReplyDelete
  6. gah... sorry for the triple posts, but i had to get this out there, anyone else inclined to think the squintern thats likely to bite the dust is going to be Clark?
    His character is suddenly this really open guy whose totally likeable blah blah blah, screams to me of soon to be dead guy..
    K thats out, i will stop now :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Leila, thanks again for the great review!

    But I have say a word for Cam here. I don't think she actually meant to take a dig at Brennan's single-ness - she was cranky because of the case and Brennan had just called her old. Cam hates being called old. I took the "and I have someone" to be a response to Brennan's comment that she was at the age where every man would have to be viewed as a potential mate (or whatever it was). Cam was saying that she already had a mate, and realized too late how it sounded to Brennan. Still - ouch. :(

    Clark is definitely not my favorite squintern, but I gotta say, he was hilarious in this episode.

    Hodgela scenes were great too. Of course Hodgins makes Ange a customized slime mold for V-Day, LOL!

    And also -

    "Ultimatum?
    What ultimatum?"

    That is why your blog rocks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, once again thanks for the blog, I still lurk at some forums but the negativity is such a downer I leave this one to last because it cheers me up. Like many others I stopped posting at the others and only lurk a little.
    Now that's off my chest.
    I enjoyed this episode, but thought the case was a little flat. I loved Brennen in this just adorable and so there for Booth. He looked sad when he ws in the shooting range, before Bones came in. Then he looked touched and happy. She does know him well doesn't she!!! the perfect valentine's gift for him, and turning the others down.
    Why are people hating Booth? All I can see is he has reacted to Brennen since the 100, and like a healthy adult tried to move on, people are still giving him sh** because what?? I don't really get what they want?

    Okay second rant over. Once again thanks for your blog.
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  9. I disagree with a lack of reaction from Brennan concerning Cam's comment.

    When she says "I understand that Valentine's day may have significance for you" it doesn't have her typical cadence. It's almost as if she's sad there isn't for her. Then she snaps back to logical mode "Yes! You've reached an age..."

    *cue cam comment*
    If you look she is taken aback (she physically moves up and back a little) After she tells her that the comment was valid, her way of walking gets jerky.

    That's my take, at least.


    I liked the way Edison was startled when he hears Brennan talking to Douglas. He darts looks back and fourth from her to Cam... like "what?!?" That and the fact that Brennan says "No. No. A date on Valentine's Day comes with the expectation of affection and companionship" but she ends up going to Booth anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amber: Stupid American Idol. I didn't realize it was three weeks until they were like "...in three weeks" and I'm just like WHAT.

    Linda: Oooh, I hadn't noticed the wardrobe change from trench to blazer! Very interesting. :D

    Anonymous: I could definitely see them getting together at the end of the season... but, knowing Hart Hanson, I wouldn't hold your breath. Not too much, at least. ;)

    Dani: I could totally see Clark as the one, actually. It'd definitely make it more tragic, with how he's changed and all. I really won't be surprised if it's him.

    Jocelyn: Oh yes, I know Cam didn't mean it. Things like this have happened before, they just slip out, I totally get it. It's just that initial reaction of like "COME ON, MAN!", even though simultaneously you realize she didn't mean it, haha.

    Grace: I definitely agree with both your rants, which is why I generally stay away from forums and the like now, haha.

    Claudia: I actually totally agree. I was going to make a comment on how the way she walked away afterward and the immediacy of it showed that she WAS still letting it affect her, but I got side-tracked by my Booth-memory thought, and I was writing this post late at night on very little sleep, so... haha. And also, I like what you point out at the end. Somehow I feel like they're going to get back into the whole surrogate-relationship thing they had going on before fairly soon.

    ReplyDelete