Wednesday, September 15, 2010

In Which We Have The Perfect Angst Remedy

Season 4, Episode 15
The Bones That Foam


BRENNAN: You haven't said anything about my interrogation.
BOOTH: Okay, you know what? You did great, okay, better than I thought.
BRENNAN: I was terrible. Everybody's right. I lack empathy.
BOOTH: You got empathy. You're awkward. That's different.
BRENNAN: My stuff is bones, yours is people.
BOOTH: Right. So you're admitting that I'm better at something than you are?
BRENNAN: No... Yes. A lot better.
BOOTH: Thanks, Bones. Hey. Can we go now?
BRENNAN: Yes.
BOOTH: Yes, wait till you see what's outside. (They go outside to see the Audi parked out front)
BOOTH: So... what do you think? Right, huh? Buddy let me borrow it.
BRENNAN: Can I drive it?
BOOTH: Oh, no, no, wait a second. This is a very powerful machine.
BRENNAN: Well, I can handle it.
BOOTH: Okay, look, once around the block. Uh, maybe. Okay. Hey, driving a machine like this is like making love. You have to go gently.
BRENNAN: I go more for passionate and uninhibited rather than gentle.
BOOTH: Bones, gently. Go ahead. Gentle, Bones, gentle. Bones, easy on the gas. Easy. Whoa, stop! Brakes...
BRENNAN: The car broke.
BOOTH: Okay, let me drive.
BRENNAN: No.
BOOTH: Okay, fine, you know what? Just do it without me, okay?
BRENNAN: Wait, no. It's no fun by myself.
BOOTH: See you.
BRENNAN: No, but at least help me get into first gear.
BOOTH: First gear? You're a scientist. You can figure it out, right?
BRENNAN: I'm a scientist, not a mechanic.
BOOTH: A mechanic? What did I say? Drive it gently, but no, you don't listen to me. I'm done, forget it.
BRENNAN: No, come on, Booth, come back. I am an excellent driver.
BOOTH: See you.
BRENNAN: Buddy's going to be very upset you're leaving it here without...
BOOTH: Buddy will completely understand because of the way that you drove that car. I told you to go gently- everybody back out, back out.
BRENNAN: Come on Booth! Booth!


This, right here, is the scene I'm going to rewatch if/when the angst I'm expecting we'll get this season is too much to handle. It seriously has everything – emotion, humor, relationship development. They even slide in a reference to sex in there. COME ON.


At the beginning, he does exactly what Angela says he does – lets her be the smart one. He pretends that her interrogation was fine, when really it was crap. And now that she knows this, she doesn't just believe him and let it go. She's slowly starting to realize, both with the help of others and for herself, all Booth's little psychological things he does (this just now, his “charm” as we saw in the last episode, etc.)



A really notable part is when he says that she does have empathy. Most people who don't know her assume she doesn't. She doesn't think she does. But he sees right through her. This shows just how much he knows her. He knows she has empathy – she just can't show it very well.


Her admitting that he's better than her at something is great, but what's really notable about it in this particular instance is that she both admits it and truly accepts it, in a sense. She accepts that she's not the “smartest” in this situation. For once, she lets him be the smart one. That's a big sacrifice, on her behalf. She wouldn't do it for everyone. But for him, she does.


And, of course, the ending. The car. The playful couple lines about love-making. And the argument that ensues. You can't help but think that this is exactly what married/living-together life would be like for them. JUST PICTURE IT.


(you know it's coming...)


<3<3<3

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the last scene!Unique Booth and Bones.

    ReplyDelete