Tuesday, September 14, 2010

In Which We Have Murder On A Plane

Season 4, Episode 9
The Passenger in the Oven



And what do we counter an angst-ridden episode with?
Booth and Bones solving a murder on a plane, of course!



BOOTH: (buzzes) See, we’re partners, we like being together.
MCNUTT: Your sexual relationship’s not relevant, sir. This is first class.
BRENNAN: Why does everyone else think we have a sexual relationship when we barely even touch each other?



Oh, I don't know, because you have crazy chemistry that you've got to be blind, deaf and dumb to not pick up on?



Just sayin'.



BRENNAN: (sitting up) No, it’s not that. But the identification and analysis of ancient remains, that’s why I became a forensic anthropologist.
BOOTH: You’re bored. Hm. Spark is gone.
BRENNAN: I’m a scientist first.



I call bullshit, showrunners. But, I shall explain not now, but after this brief interruption for a classic Irrelevant But Funny quote.



BOOTH: (walks in) Bones—(sees glasses and smiles) All right, what I want you to do is take off your glasses, (steps closer) shake out your hair and say, “Mr. Booth, do you know what the penalty is for an overdue book?”
BRENNAN: Why?
BOOTH: Never mind. (steps back)


Heeheehee. Oh, Bones.
Well, oh, Booth, also. Because Booth, had she done it, you know you couldn't have resisted, and you would have thrown her against the wall and kissed her, and then the show would be over (ok, not really, yes the show can go on with them together, but you know what, the joke doesn't work that way.)



BOOTH: You want to get off the plane, to see those old Chinese bones. I’m sorry.
BRENNAN: It’s not your fault.
BOOTH: Yeah, it is, because I’m the one that dragged you out of pure science and pulled you into murder solving.
BRENNAN: That’s not how I remember it.
BOOTH: Really.
BRENNAN: Yes. As I recall, I had to force you to take me into the field.
BOOTH: (smiles) Really.
BRENNAN: Yes. You didn’t want to, remember? This is all my fault.



Yeah, this is what the whole “I call bullshit” was about. It pissed me off when Brennan was all like “ancient bones are my true passion”, because it kind of completely derails my theory of how Booth and Bones' common ground is that solving murders and putting away bad guys is their true passion for both of them, and that common ground is how they are able to establish a connection despite their numerous differences.



But this, this part changes it. Because although it doesn't imply it directly, one can infer from this that just because murder-solving wasn't her first “love”, it doesn't mean it's not her true passion. She changed her passion, that's all.



And of course, Booth knows this. That's why he pretended like he thought he had been the one to make her go out into the field. It's his own way of reminding her how much she loves murder-solving, by getting her to remind herself.

3 comments:

  1. Man, the librarian scene was awesome!
    When you make a joke like that you have got to be ready for the consequences. Booth soo wasn't.
    I like how she did it afterwards to see what it was all about. :)
    Carioca22

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 'librarian' scene was comic genius, imo. I think Booth knew she wouldn't get the point of it and so he knew he was 'safe'. His face, after he'd stepped back was perfect. DB did a lovely job of showing a wry and humourous acceptance of her cluelessness.
    I also loved the way Booth was 'large and in charge' throughout the investigation. And he was in shirtsleeves the whole trip - sigh! And I agree with you on the 'bullshit' issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to me the librarian scene is their hottest moment thus far. has he ever flirted so overtly with her before this?

    1ayogi

    ReplyDelete