Thursday, September 9, 2010

In Which We Discuss Normal!Brennan and Emotional!Brennan

Season 3, Episode 14
The Wannabe in the Weeds


BOOTH: I have to be honest here. Sometimes I think that you think you're better than me.
BRENNAN: Well, objectively, I am more intelligent...
BOOTH: There you go...
BRENNAN: In certain areas, and in others... I understand my limitations, and I... admire your expertise.
BOOTH: Huh. You admire me?
BRENNAN: ...In certain areas of expertise.
BOOTH: Well, I admire your expertise. You have a whole... science thing.
BRENNAN: Thank you. I'm an author, too.
BOOTH: I know.
BRENNAN: Best selling, and that also gives me elevated status.
BOOTH: Here comes the ego
BRENNAN: No, I'm not saying that society is correct to elevate me. I'm not saying that I deserve the elevation... I'm just saying... that it occurs. Society should elevate scholars and teachers not actors and athletes.
(BOOTH's cell phone rings)
BOOTH: Yeah, what about cops?
BRENNAN: They're very important.



And Bones continues her streak of verbal acknowledgment of her appreciation of Booth. Of course, not without a cup or two of ego along with it, but even so.



They admire the other's expertise. Back to the foundation, the first levels, in which they respect each other work-wise, and honestly, that foundation needs to be gone back to again and again, because it has to be solidly in place for any romantic stuff to happen.



BRENNAN: Until I was thirteen, I wanted to be the next Cyndi Lauper.
BOOTH: I'd say you're kidding, but I don't think you know how to kid.


I just wanted to post that because it's such a funny line. And also, Cyndi Lauper needs to be on the show again. Just sayin'. And if you ever get the chance to go to one of her concerts, do it, no matter what kind of music it is. It is guaranteed to be an awesome night.


Again, just sayin'.






And now we have Bones singing “Girls Just Want To Have Fun”, all at the hand of Booth.
The silent acting that goes on in that scene is so thoroughly great and effective – he's so into it, so encouraging her, and she sings straight to him most of the time (at least, that's what it looks like to me). He wants her to have fun, be Party!Brennan for a bit, and she wants him to see that she can be Party!Brennan.



And then he gets shot.



Fun fact, oh my gosh, when it first aired, you would have thought the End of Days was coming if you saw my reaction to when he got shot. Even though you know of course they're not going to kill Booth. IT WAS JUST SO CRAZY.



But anyway, her reaction is probably my favorite part of the episode, because we get some Emotional!Brennan. And I love Emotional!Brennan. Emotional!Brennan lets us see her feelings, lets us see her scared. Of course, most of the time Emotional!Brennan only comes out when Booth is there to help her through it. Now, he's the reason Emotional!Brennan has come out, and she's alone in it, it's just her and her feelings. And that's quite a scary thing, to say the least, for her.



And the thing is, normal Brennan is slowly getting used to Emotional!Brennan. She's actually starting to like Emotional!Brennan. Most of that (all of it, even, one can argue) has to do with Booth being in her life. So the possibility of his death is quite catastrophic for her.



And when it actually happens (or so she thinks), she tucks Emotional!Brennan away, supposedly forever, because she's not quite sure how to deal with Emotional!Brennan without Booth yet.



But that's for the season finale.

1 comment:

  1. There's also speculation when Booth is on the floor, all shot and everything that Brennan whispers really quickly "come on baby come on!" if only this were true.

    ReplyDelete