Sunday, September 12, 2010

In Which They're Sir Seely and Lady Temperance

Season 4, Episode 1
The Yanks in the U.K.



Time for some pond-jumping, Booth and Bones!



I see Wexler and Pritchard as the British counterparts to B&B had B&B given into their attraction to each other from the start and had sex before they fell in love. Because, see, if they had had sex early on, before they really knew each other, they would both just only see the other as this person that is so different than them, someone they could never possibly be in a real relationship with, and so they would never have really gotten to know each other. But now that they really know each other, and they know that they're really not as incompatible as they appear on the surface, they won't end up that way.



WEXLER: Does your cowboy want to tag along?
BRENNAN: Oh, please, don’t call him that.
WEXLER: He'd find it insulting?
BRENNAN: No. He’d love it.



I love that he'd love it, and I love that she knows that he'd love it.



BOOTH: Right, it's a great theory. (he hands Wexler his cup) Can you hold onto that for one second? Thanks. Me and uh, Dr. Brennan will go talk to the family.
PRITCHARD: Together?
BOOTH & BRENNAN: (in unison) That's what we do.



Hell yes, that's what they do. D'awwww.



BOOTH: Look, Wexler is just - I'm not agitated because of you and Dr. Wexler. Wexler's just another guy looking for a one-night stand. That's it. Whoa.
BRENNAN: So?
BOOTH: So, he doesn't take it seriously.
BRENNAN: Seriously? What do you mean? You never laugh during sex? Because I do. Whoa, do you see that lorry?
BOOTH: I see that lorry. It's a truck, okay? We're an American, and that is a truck. I laugh during sex. It's just, it's not that kind of serious.
BRENNAN: Well, I think Dr. Wexler is serious about having sex with me. Very interested.
BOOTH: Okay, news bulletin for ya, Bones. There's not a guy in this country who wouldn't want to have sex with you. Probably half the gay men...whoa, easy.
BRENNAN: Are you being nice about me or awful about British men?
BOOTH: Wexler is not special; you are.
...
BRENNAN: You think I'm special?
BOOTH: Of course I think that you're special, yes.
BRENNAN: Thank you. I will take your romantic advice under advisement. Now you're too far to the left.



He thinks she's special. <3
And the way he says “Of course I think you're special” is so perfectly just like, “OF COURSE!” Very just like, “Is that even a real question?”



BRENNAN: Common sense says you don't offend your partner for an hour of fun.



Good Bones! And the thing is, a season or two prior, had this happened, I'm willing to bet she would have slept with Ian anyway, and just been like, “Oh whatever, Booth needs to get over it, he's not being logical,” blahblahblah. The fact that she's not doing something she deems perfectly logical just because Booth doesn't think she should is a big deal.



BOOTH: What, you never wanted to be a princess when you were a kid?
BRENNAN: No.
BOOTH: Even now---a castle, the moats, knights in shining armor. (Brennan shakes her head and looks confused.) You know what? I risk my life for the United States government every day. I wonder if I can get Congress to pass something like…(Booth’s cell rings.) knighthood. “Sir Seeley Booth.” It just sounds right.



Hello, stating plain as day his desire to be a knight. And of course, it's not the actual knight that he wants to be, but all the traits and duties that come with it, which means so much not only for himself and his personality and priorities (which is pretty obvious), but for their relationship in later episodes.



BOOTH: Oh, come on, Bones. You and me, we’re the real deal. Ah, look. She’s having a tough time with this. I would, too you know, if you were killed.
BRENNAN: Oh yeah, you’re sentimental that way.



Oh, classic Bones mechanism there, deter an emotional revelation by using logical reasoning that masquerades as being the only reason for something, but really, it is not.



FANGIRL MOMENT: When she takes his arm at the end - “Sir Seely” and “Lady Temperance” - ahhhhhhh <3

1 comment:

  1. I can recognise and appreciate the symbolism of this episode but, being English, I had trouble getting to grips with the way some of the English characters were written so I'm too busy cringing for most of it.

    ReplyDelete