Wednesday, September 22, 2010

In Which They Split Up... For A Year

Season 5, Episode 22
The Beginning in the End


First: TITLE MEANINGS!
I forgot to mention on the post for 5.16: “The Parts in the Sum of the Whole”. It's only parts, you guys. There are still more parts. They aren't done yet.
And this one: “The Beginning in the End”. This is a little less obvious, as there are many possibilities. The one I'm going with relates to the title of 5.16. There are different parts in the whole of the process of them getting together. Those parts can be divided up linearly. This season finale marks the beginning of the “end” parts. Basically: we're in the home stretch, kids. But, they're not out of “parts” yet.

And, second: THE CLOCK. The clock from the first scene of the season four final is in the hoarder's house, blinking the time that it was on in that scene. Meaning? Perhaps the blinking of it means we're paused in getting to there for now? Or that the blinking means it's coming up at some point (to them being together, where it will "stop blinking")?

Or perhaps it was just Hart Hanson being a smart-ass, since he said that clock would be in the season five finale, and everyone thought that had to mean that the first scene from the season four finale would be happening except in real Bones time instead of this vague flash-forward.



BRENNAN:  But I need a break from my life.  I'm worried all the time.  Worried that Booth might get hurt on a case, and I couldn't prevent it, worried... about what our partnership means.



That whole “she's afraid of him getting hurt physically too” thing I talked about in the last episode? It's the same thing here.



DAISY:  So you're coming?
BRENNAN:  Agent Booth and I are partners.  I have to discuss it with him first.
DAISY:  He's probably going to go be a big hero in Afghanistan.
BRENNAN:  He says he doesn't want to go.
DAISY:  Lance said that Booth has the psyche of a true warrior.  That it's a miracle he hasn't gone back long before this.  Maybe you're holding him back the same way he's holding you back.  (Off Brennan's look.)  I shouldn't have said that.  But sometimes my mouth just has a mouth of its own.



DAMNIT, DAISY!
Although, it might be good for them. It might even count as a “step” in their relationship, in a sense, for them to kind of get this out of their systems. For him to go back one more time, for her to do her research anthropology again to reinforce that she still loves solving murders.



BRENNAN:  I've been offered the chance to head up the Maluku Island project.
BOOTH:  Yeah, I heard.  Daisy told Sweets and Sweets told me.
BRENNAN:  Oh.  I'd like to accept.
BOOTH:  Hmmm.  I thought you already had.
BRENNAN:  We've been partners for five years, Booth.  I wouldn't make a decision like this without talking to you.
BOOTH:  Bones, look, you don't need my permission.  Okay, it's-it's cool.
BRENNAN:  You say that, but you won't look at me.  You're the one who taught me the value of making eye contact.  So, please...?


It feels like the past five years are all culminating in this episode. She talks not once but twice in this episode of things Booth has taught her. Like this, with the eye contact. Now she's using it on him. It's coming full-circle.


BOOTH:  (He looks at her.)  I'm sorry.  I just... I don't do really good with change, I guess.
BRENNAN:  Well, you're better than I am.
BOOTH:  The pyramids are better at change than you are.  (Off her look.)  It was a joke.  Hey, I was being affectionate.
BRENNAN:  Oh.  (Laughs)  Will you go back to the Army?
BOOTH:  It's what's best for me right now. 
BRENNAN:  I'll only be gone for a year.
BOOTH: Me, too.   Right.  So, hey, what's a year?
BRENNAN:  It's the time it takes the Earth to make a full revolution around the sun.
BOOTH:  In the scheme of things.  You know, the grand scheme.  Just saying, a year is just, you know... it's not too bad.
BRENNAN:  Right.
BOOTH:  Right? 
BRENNAN:  We can come back, pick up where we left off.  Nothing really has to change.
BOOTH:  No, things have to change.  You know what?  Hey, I taught you about eye contact, you taught me about evolution.  So... here's to change.
BRENNAN:  (They touch their coffee cups together.)  To change.



And, looky there, Bones still trying to make like things can be the same.
Booth knows better, though. Things will change. They already have. They did the second she turned him away.
This is a case, though, where he can't just tell her it and she just has to trust. She has to figure it out for herself.



DAISY:  Dr. Brennan, we really have to go.
BRENNAN:  Yes.  (Clears throat, then looks up as Booth enters.  They look at each other, then Brennan walks toward Booth.)
DAISY:  Dr. Brennan?
CAM:  Oh, my God.
BOOTH:  Sorry.  Couldn't get a pass.  I had to sneak off the base to come say good-bye.  Listen, Bones, you got to be really careful in that Indonesian jungle, okay?
BRENNAN:  Booth, in a week, you're going to a war zone.  Please don't be a hero.  Please just... don't be you.
BOOTH:  (He steps closer, then reaches out and clasps her hand.)  One year from today, we meet at the reflecting pool on the mall.  Right by the...
BRENNAN:   ...coffee cart.  I know.  One year from today.
(They stare at each other for a moment, then Booth takes a step back and lets go of her hand.  He turns and walks away.  Brennan watches him go for second before she turns and walks the opposite direction herself.  Booth stops and turns around and she glances back one more time, with tears in her eyes.  Then Booth turns again and walks away, Brennan does the same.)



This, right here, is the perfect balance of sad and poignant. I really can't stand it (in a good way). The look on her face when she sees him, her telling him not to be a hero, when they grab hands, when they look back at each other... it would be cliché if it weren't so goddamn touching.



Speaking of the grabbing-of-hands, the showrunners could not have made a better choice in regards to a last physical gesture. A hug would have... made it not as touching, in a sense, because it would be so expected. And of course it's filled with that “OMG KISS KISS KISS KISS!” feeling, but of course they're not going to kiss, and of course I'm glad they didn't, because HELLO, WORLD OF IMPLICATIONS THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE THE TIME TO DEAL WITH. The hand hold is just... perfect.



And the looks back at each other say it all. They want to hold on to what they have, want to hold on to the moment before they leave each other for a year... but, it's passed. They can only hold on for so long. And then they leave.



From 5.16 to 5.22 is incredibly overwhelming. Everything changes so fast, and so it makes sense that it evoked a shitload of feelings not just from our leading man and lady but from the fans. This is an entirely different game now, kiddies, and just like Booth and Bones have to get used to change, so do we.



I had wanted to have some sort of comprehensive paragraph about Booth and Bones thus far, but really, there's nothing I can say that I haven't already said a million times over throughout this blog. That's what this blog is, really: one very large comprehensive paragraph about Booth and Bones, thus far.



The best way I can explain how I feel about this next season is with a roller coaster analogy. You get on the roller coaster, and you think it's going to be a pretty great ride. When you're there, on the ride, it is so much fun, but at the same time, so damn scary. And now, it's at that part where it's getting close to the scariest part of the ride. You can tell it's coming. And you're starting to freak out. In your head, you're going “HOLY SHIT, DAMN, GET ME OFF OF THIS. I REGRET EVER GETTING ON THIS FUCKING RIDE, I WANT OFF!” But, there's no way to get off the ride. You're going to go through this really scary part no matter what. You're dreading it so much, but at the same time, you just want to start it so you can be done with it already. And maybe you're scared as fuck now, but deep down, you know that when the train's riding in slowly at the end, you'll have had such a damn fun ride, and it'll all be worth it.



I'm dreading it, but at the same time, I just want to start it so I can get to the slow riding-in-to-the-station part and look back on the ride and appreciate it all, even the scary parts.



I know spoilers about season six. I was originally going to make a whole extra post discussing them and what I think about it and what I'm expecting, but since the premiere is in less than 24 hours, I might as well wait until it's all in context.



But the point is, if you like the show enough to be reading this blog, you, like me, are so invested in the show that no matter what happens, you're going to keep watching until the end. So, here's some things to keep in mind in this upcoming season:
  1. Even with everything that happens, it is just a television show. I know it seems hypocritical coming from the lady with the 60,000+ word blog about it, but seriously, a little perspective is always good.
  2. Keep an open mind.
  3. Trust that the ride will be worth it.
  4. And, most importantly, when you're on the ride, and shit is just CRAZY, and you're saying to yourself, “Damnit, I wish I had never even started watching this fucking show!”, just remember:



Everything happens eventually.





See you again on Thursday/Friday/Saturday/whenever I get the post for the season premiere done, kiddos.

2 comments:

  1. loved the post!
    no1. even though ive heard all that stuff about the episode names and the clock conspiracy etc. i found your take surprisingly different, and refreshing (maybe i just havent read into it as much).. i had never really thought about what "the parts in the sum of the whole" truly meant though... however the idea that "the beginning in the end" means the beginning of the last stretch does make sense on that level as well of my previous thoughts of the end scene being at an airport like the first scene of the pilot... however it does make me sad that we're on the home stretch, excited, but sad, although considering whole long the beginning stretch was, lets just keep our fingers crossed for that)

    no2. One of my favourite things about the last scene at the airport, is Cam's "Oh My God" and Angela's expression, cracks me up every time, but i know, its irrelevant.

    no3. also i agree with the hand holding being perfect. my mum afterwards was like, "as if they didnt kiss?" and all my friends at school were asking the same question, but i just said to them that if they had kissed would you have been happy.. theyve spent the last 5 episodes talking themselves out of that sort of thing, for them to do that at the end of the final, wouldve just been TOO MUCH, only for the characters (emotionally, not ot mention completely out of character and not what youd expect from these writers) but also for the audience who would then have to be held in suspense for however many months thinking, "OMG, are they still going away? or are they together now? or WHATS HAPPENING!?!?" not only would that involve ALOT of fan mail, but also it would just be cruelty, i mean Hart Hanson is evil, but he's ont cruel

    no4. i agree full heartedly with everything you said about the roller coaster and so on, and people being terrified about where this ride is going. i really hope that not a lot of people wont hop off, i mean im definitely not going too. also like to add to your list the fact that so far the ride has been AMAZING, i mean the ups and downs are expected, and we know there is giong to be more, so why does anyone think that the end of the ride will be any worse then the beginning. the builders didnt have to rush, as far as i know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your take on this episode and totally agree about the hand holding situation.
    I also like your 4 points, and especially agree with No.1.

    ReplyDelete