Wednesday, September 22, 2010

In Which They Sing Their Song Again

Season 5, Episode 19
The Rocker in the Rinse Cycle


BRENNAN: Booth seems to like Catherine, don't you think?
CAM: I do. I'm glad. It's been a long time since he's dated anyone.
BRENNAN: I know. It's important for Booth to share his life. I prefer being alone.
CAM: But you're seeing Hacker.
BRENNAN: Yes, and I like him, but not like Booth. I mean not like Booth wants to like someone.
CAM: All organisms evolve and develop along patterns only recognized in retrospect. Your life doesn't exist outside the laws of nature.
BRENNAN: Then, in ignorance, I await my own surprise. Although the odds of it involving a commitment to another person are remote.



Oh, Bones. Your being convinced that you can't love like Booth loves is really just too much. Cam thinks so too, hence what she said.



BOOTH: Ah, come on, Bones. Play along. (The musicians start to play the opening notes to "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner.) It's rock and roll fantasy camp. It's cool, right? You hear that? That is our song. Remember "Hot Blooded"?
BRENNAN: The last time we sang this song, Booth, someone tried to kill you.
BOOTH: Yeah, but it was fun up until the blast, right? Come on.
(BOoth jumps on the stage and starts singing into the microphone)
BOOTH: (singing) I'm hot blooded, check it and see... (he notices Brennan strapping on a guitar) Wait a second. You play the guitar?
BRENNAN: Well, I play the akonting, the folk lute of the Jola tribe, but the guitar is not dissimilar.
(Brennan joins him on stage and starts to stum the guitar. They both start to sing.)
BOOTH & BRENNAN: (singing) Well, I'm Hot blooded. Check it and see. I've got a fever of a hundred and three. Come on, baby, you can do more than dance. I'm hot blooded, hot blooded!
(Brennan rocks on the guitar solo but receives a text message so she stops and checks her phone while Booth keeps rocking out)



Oh, fluff scene. You always make things so much better.



BRENNAN: Well, groupers would be more logical. Male groupers have harems of multiple females. If you enter into a social contract with a marine biologist, you should know these things.
BOOTH: Yeah, well, a fish can't play the guitar.
BRENNAN: Well, apparently, neither could Cole.
BOOTH: You don't have to keep bringing up Catherine.
BRENNAN: Well, you're welcome to bring up Andrew.


Annnnnnd more of her making like things are the same as before.



(Cut to: Founding Fathers. Booth and Brennan are sitting at the bar, having a beer.)
BOOTH: You know, our killer plays a mean guitar. I'm sure that they have, you know, a band in prison for him.
BRENNAN: You're a very good singer.
BOOTH: Thank you, Bones. And you-you play the guitar in a very interesting fashion.
BRENNAN: I know. Does Catherine play?
BOOTH: I don't know. I've only been out with her twice, Bones.
BRENNAN: Last night, Andrew gave me a CD with music he likes.
BOOTH: Mix-tape, huh? Talk about a social contract.
BRENNAN: That's what I surmised. (she pauses) Our partnership is still important to me. You know that, right?
BOOTH: Sure. Yeah. Die for your, partner. That's the way I look at it.


Partner talk! There's not so much of the double-meaning with it anymore, but in a way, at least in this instance, it's like going back to the baseline. Their partnership is still important to them (of freaking COURSE, that's part of the reason why she turned him down). You die for your partner. You just do. Before they had anything else, they were partners. It's sort of like the base in the pyramid of their relationship. And even after what's happened, they have that base.


BRENNAN: I liked Andrew's taste in music except for a band called Led Zeppelin.
BOOTH: Except for a band called Led Zeppelin?
BRENNAN: (hesitantly) Yes.
BOOTH: What? You kidding me? Led Zeppelin is, like, the best rock and roll band ever. I mean, they had a reunion tour in '07 in London. I would have killed for those tickets.
BRENNAN: Really? My publisher offered me tickets, but when I heard "Zeppelin," I thought it was for some sort of air show.
BOOTH: Air show? You turned down what probably was the last concert that Zeppelin would ever play?
BRENNAN: Are you going to kill me?
BOOTH: You're unbelievable!
BRENNAN: Well, it's just a band, Booth.
BOOTH: It's not just a band, okay? This is Led Zeppelin. You know what? I am your partner. You offer your partner those kind of things.
BRENNAN: I didn't know that!
BOOTH: Offer your partner the tickets.



The classic bickering.
Thankfully, some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment