Wednesday, September 22, 2010

In Which He Wishes Her Happiness

Season 5, Episode 20
The Witch in the Wardrobe


I never thought I'd say this, but thank goodness for an episode that DOESN'T revolve around B&B, not only just because they've had SO MUCH going on for several episodes in a row at this point, but also because this is when Angela and Hodgins finally got back together (like they should have a season ago)! I remember when season 4 was airing and they broke up, I had guessed that they would be back together by November sweeps of that season... oh, how positively wrong I was. Lol.



But, anyway, there's this little poignant gem of a scene:



BOOTH: This was given to me by the witches. Look, it's you, Little Bones.
BRENNAN: No, it's not.
BOOTH [laughing]: Yes, it is, you see? The witch said that if I burned this in your presence, then the wish I make for you will come true.
[He opens a lighter.]
BRENNAN: You think I care, but I don't. It's just superstition. And for superstition to work, the person has to believe that he or she is cursed or under a spell--watch you don't burn your fingers!
BOOTH: Want to know what I wished for?
BRENNAN: No, it doesn't matter. Completely irrelevant.


Bones, you should know that your hyper-rationality doesn't fool anyone anymore. Seriously.
It's almost like she's trying herself to reinforce the idea that they're not compatible to reverting back to her hyper-rationality.


BOOTH: I wished... I wished that you could find happiness.
BRENNAN: I don't know what that means.
BOOTH: Happiness. Love, laughter, friendship, purpose... and a dance.


He wishes her happiness.
This is worthy of a POIGNANCY ALERT (yes, I just made that up).


BRENNAN: Oh. Well, then thank you.
BOOTH [triumphantly]: Ah...
BRENNAN: Why is that funny?
BOOTH: 'Cause, you know, you wouldn't have thanked me if you didn't think that part of it was true.
BRENNAN: No, I was, I was thanking you for your kindness, not because I believed in the outcome.
BOOTH: Ah, I detected relief.
BRENNAN: No, no, you didn't.
BOOTH: Relief, that the mojo was good and not bad.
BRENNAN: Okay, now you're just mixing up belief systems.
BOOTH: Really? Okay, you want me to burn another one?
BRENNAN: No, smoke isn’t allowed--how many do you have?
BOOTH: I’ve got a lot.



Again, some things never change. And I'm VERY grateful for that.



(just to note, in all this whole “things will never be the same with them” business I keep talking about, I do not, in any way, mean that their entire relationship is going to change. They still have their essence, and their love (despite how they try to hide it and rearrange it), and that will come out time and time again, no matter what they do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment