Tuesday, September 21, 2010

In Which They Regain Their Faith

Season 5, Episode 14
The Devil in the Details

BRENNAN: No, I’m going to ask you how you can still believe in a kind God after a case like this.
BOOTH: Was my faith shaken? Yeah. Mm-hmm. It is.
BRENNAN: It is?
BOOTH: Yeah. I’ll go home tonight and I’ll lie in bed, and I’ll toss, and I’ll turn, and I’ll beat myself up, and uh…I’ll question everything.
BRENNAN: Will you get your faith back?
BOOTH: Always have in the past.
BRENNAN: So you have faith that you will retain your faith. (Booth nods) Why?
BOOTH: Because, Bones, it’s…the sun will come up, and tomorrow’s a new day.
BRENNAN: (laughs) I know that feeling.
BOOTH: Really?
BRENNAN: Mm-hmm.
BOOTH: You know what it feels like to get your faith back?
BRENNAN: When I see effects and I am unable to discern the cause, my faith in reason and consequences is shaken.
BOOTH: And then what happens?
BRENNAN: Two plus two equals four. I put sugar in my coffee and it tastes sweet. The sun comes up because the world turns. These things are beautiful to me. There are mysteries I will never understand, but everywhere I look, I see proof that for every effect there is a corresponding cause. Even if I can’t see it. I find that reassuring.
BOOTH: And life is good again.
BRENNAN: Life is very good.
BOOTH: Yes it is. (Both laugh)


Well, well.
You know when they'll be a scene that is just so comprehensive of Booth and Bones' dynamic?


Yeah, this is one of those scenes.


So, Booth questions his faith in God, but he always gets it back. Bones questions her faith in reason, but she always gets it back.


Yet again, they're taking the ways in which they are polar opposites and use them to show how B&B are similar. And it's always the important, more universal ways in which they're similar. Religion, intelligence, that's all superficial. But like in this case; they both get their faith back. It's faith in different things, yes, but the “how” is more important than the “what”.

No comments:

Post a Comment