Saturday, September 18, 2010

In Which That's The Best Thing Someone's Said About Him

Season 4, Episode 21
The Double Death of the Dearly Departed



BOOTH: All right, whatever, Bones. When I inevitably drop dead before you, I'd like you to come out and, you know, spend some time and talk to me every once in a while.
BRENNAN: Well, I'll feel foolish knowing that you can't hear me.
BOOTH: Promise me.
BRENNAN: I promise.
BOOTH: Hey! There you go, huh? Hey, you agreed. I didn't think you would agree. Now, why did you agree?
BRENNAN: I believe that if I pretended you were still here, I'd feel better for a moment. Also, speaking to you would require me to figuratively look at myself through your eyes - again temporarily - and I think that would make me live my life more successfully.
BOOTH: Hmm, you know what, Bones? That is the best thing that anyone has ever said about me.
BRENNAN: I'll say it at your wake.


Oh, Bones. I love when you reveal so much and you don't even know it.


First: she promises. Even though she thinks it's stupid. She promises because Booth asked her to promise him. And their promises are a serious thing, for both of them. You would think with Bones it wouldn't be as much, because well promises are illogical especially ones so far in the future because there are multitudes of changing values... but, no, it's serious. You can tell she takes it seriously.


And second, the fact that he can decipher that what she said was a compliment is major progress. Of course, it's typical Brennan in clinical speech. But he knows her, and he can tell that what she's essentially saying, that she thinks his perspective of her helps her to live better, is very kind and meaningful.


They're adapting to each other's needs more and more.
Shit's getting inevitable, ya'll.

1 comment:

  1. This final scene was pretty much the only scene worth watching in an otherwise woefully daft storyline. Most of the regular characters were so far off the beam it was almost like a spoof episode.

    ReplyDelete