Sunday, September 19, 2010

In Which Bones is Awesome

Season 5, Episode 4
The Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood


BOOTH: I-I need Parker to know that I lead a full and rewarding life.
BRENNAN: But you don't.
BOOTH: What? Yes, I do.
BRENNAN: No, you don't. You work too much, you don't socialize, all of which prevents you from having a full sex life.
BOOTH: Okay, please, let's just take a hint from, you know, the suburbs and just make it look good. (They enter the snack room. BOOTH looks at the file he took).


Brennan calling Booth out on not having a rewarding life screams of pot calling the kettle black, which Booth would normally call her out on, had he not already been so concerned about Parker.



PARKER: Couldn't you be his girlfriend?
BOOTH: Buddy, you really gotta quit that.
BRENNAN: That would be inappropriate.
PARKER: Why?
BRENNAN: Because... (She pauses). ...we work together.
PARKER: That's a stupid reason.


What DON'T I spy here? I don't spy any sort of “because your daddy and I don't get along in that kind of way” or any other sort of explanation of that type from Bones? Sure, they don't make it to be a big thing in this particular context, but in the big picture, you sure as hell better back that the choice of reasoning she gives as to why she can't be his girlfriend means exactly what you think it means.


And yes, Parker, I agree. It's a stupid reason.


BOOTH: (Hiding his face with his drink and whispering). You know what? Bones, I'm really not comfortable with the questions that you're asking.
BRENNAN: (Also hiding her face with her drink and whispering) Booth, could you maybe trust me for a second, trust that I can say the right thing? In the time that I've been with you, I've learned a lot about how to deal with people.


The “trust” thing is a weird sort-of guilt trip thing with them, almost. It's almost accusatory sometimes – a whole “We're partners, don't you trust me?” kind of thing, and especially so when it's Brennan using her social/emotional progress as a reason as to WHY he should trust her.


BOOTH: So, the whole reason you wanted me to get a girlfriend was so that you could have a pool?
PARKER: Mm-hmm. Why else would I care?
BRENNAN: There is a pool in my building... (She starts removing a key from her key chain). …that the two of you can use as my guests anytime. (She places the key on the table. BOOTH takes it).
PARKER: Awesome. That's awesome, right, Dad?
BRENNAN: No, not awesome. Simple Socratic method of solving a problem.
BOOTH: Nope. Mm-mm, Parker is right. You're awesome, Bones.
BRENNAN: Yeah. I'm awesome. (PARKER nods.) Cheers. (BRENNAN raises her glass and PARKER clinks his own against hers).



Bones is awesome.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment