Tuesday, August 31, 2010

In Which There's More Than One Kind of Family


Season 2, Episode 11
Judas on a Pole

We start this episode with an always-loved (well, by me, at least) FANGIRL MOMENT:
BOOTH: Come’on, let’s go. (He goes to pull her out of her chair)
BRENNAN: Wha..What? Why do I always feel like you’re abducting me! (playfully slaps him)

OH GOSH, THE PLAYFUL SLAPS! <3 TOO. DARN. CUTE.

BRENNAN: That had to be Russ’s blood.
BOOTH: You got a sample, right? We’ll check the DNA at the lab. Until then, hey - who’s the one that always says ‘don’t jump to conclusions’?
BRENNAN: Yeah, you’re right. Thanks. I wish you wouldn’t keep letting me hug you when I get scared.
BOOTH: Hey, I get scared and I’ll hug you. We’ll call it even.

Booth reminding Bones not to jump to conclusions? Looks likes she's getting more and more emotional, which she realizes when she mentions that he shouldn't let her hug him whenever she's scared. Of course, she doesn't really mean it, but once she's reminded that she's rational, reasoned Bones, she feels obligated to speak against her previous emotional actions.

BOOTH: I’m sorry..that you had to go through it again. Watching your family drive off, leaving you behind. I’m sorry.
BRENNAN: My Father is, is—
BOOTH: He’s your dad, and he loves you. (they hold a gaze with one another for a few moments)
BRENNAN: Ya know. I’m just…I’m just one of those people who doesn’t get to be in a family. That’s --
BOOTH: ( he places his finger underneath her chin, lifting her head up) Listen, Bones, hey. There’s more than one kind of family.

My heart breaks EVERY. TIME. Poor Bones. And oh, Booth, you're so gallant when you're in White Knight mode.

This marks the fifth moment they've had this season, the second one in which it's broken by an outside interruption. And this is a big one. Sure, he's partly talking about the squints when he means “there's more than one kind of family”, but he's also including himself in that. He is her family.

I'm pretty sure you can figure out the implications of that yourself.


And the ascent climbs just a bit more.

2 comments:

  1. An episode like has got to have at least one comment.
    Every fan girl out there thought for a split second that Booth would lean to kiss her. :)

    ReplyDelete