Thursday, April 7, 2011

In Which She Thinks His Socks Are Silly

Season 6, Episode 17
The Feet on the Beach

Oh Bones. Some things about you will never chance.
Like how, the episode after a ~big event~, B&B act like nothing happened.

Which is understandable. It's how it's always been. It's how they function.

Although with this one, it's not as bad because they also include another one of their “usual” things – Booth making fun of her for her over-objective thinking skills over someone's feelings (“how about you try being a person?”) and she protests that her prioritization is correct. It shows they still have that tension, that disagreement – without it, they're as good as dead.

“He's a grown man.”
“Sometimes it makes that worse.”

And alas, another thing “Bones” does, and does well: Alluding to said previous ~big event~ later in the episode after in the most indirect yet certain of ways. With a grown man, it's worse. Booth feels that it's worse for him to get rejected like that, to be angry at Brennan. And it also acts as a way for Booth to get through to Brennan over the whole Philmore issue, to get her to parallel Booth with Philmore so that she can be more open to the whole thing. Because with Booth, she sees things differently.

“I know the kind of person that you are and I think you should let other people in on the secret too.”
The look on her face, the look on his once she looks away... see, that's the thing with them: you can literally SEE them affecting each other.

The ending wasn't all that juicy, no. But back in season four I was talking about how they have to balance REALLY BIG MONUMENTAL THINGS with smaller, cuter and less monumental things. Especially right after possibly the BIGGEST MOST MONUMENTAL HAPPENING FOR THEM EVER.

So juicy, no, but flat-fucking-ADORABLE? Oh, yes.

And it had one of my absolutely favorite little details about their relationship: how she notices all these little things about him and always says them without thinking of or realizing what her knowledge of them AT ALL implies. The thing about the coffee.

She notices him.

(This is nothing new, of course, but the reminders pf it are always lovely.)


4 comments:

  1. Could you post a screencap of that “I know the kind of person that you are and I think you should let other people in on the secret too.”
    moment? I missed it somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "I know that kind of person that you are and I think you should let other people in on the secret too" made the episode for me. I liked the whole thing, I though the Dr. was funny. But that scene in the car, I actually awwed out loud. And then squealed. It was a reminder of how much they actually care/know/accept/listen to one another. Can't wait for the rest of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He convince her to 'apologize', she told him how to drink a coffee... Am I the one who thought MARRIED COUPLE?
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  4. cookiedoughgumdrops: ME TOO!

    I 'awwed', I rewound, I watched again and squealed with a 'how adorable'. Made the episode for me.

    Anyone who was expecting monumental events in this ep are crazy - a typical post-big-one Bones ep. Subtle - just enough acknowledgement of the previous events.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete