Friday, January 21, 2011

In Which Leila is Kind of... Bored?

Season 6, Episode 10
The Body in the Bag


Well, this has been... an episode.
In the moment, it's pretty good and engaging (“WHAT?! BOOTH WHY ARE YOU TELLIGN HANNAH. WHAT?! HANNAH WHY ARE YOU BEING WEIRD ABOUT THIS. KDSJHFJKSD.”)
Overall though, the way they all deal with it is kind of... boring, I hate to say. It's the same stuff they've been doing all season.

Before we get into that too much, though, I need to mention, in relation to Booth telling Sweets that Bones said she loved him, that Bones DIDN'T say she loved him, specifically. Which I think would make a much larger difference had she actually used the word “love”. They have both admitted “feelings”, but never have actually said “I love you”. It makes a difference. Had both their separate times of admitting their feelings, used the word “love”, the rejections would have been much more impossible, I believe, especially considering all the discussions they've had about love. Saying “I love you” to someone and just admitting you have feelings for them are totally different things, even more so than normal in Bones and Booth's case.

And NOW, onto the main stuff. Like how Booth goes straight into denial mode, as he has all season. The second Sweets suggests he might still have feelings for Brennan, Booth marks his going to Sweets as a mistake. Curious. Very curious.

Then there's the scene where Booth tells Hannah about what happened. And yes, his reasonings are logical, and Hannah is a reasonable woman, and blahblahblah, but STILL, everything is just way too easy with Booth and Hannah, specifically with how Booth deals with Hannah. Everything's always fine with them, he always does the right thing with her with little to no conflict. It's just too easy.

A couple deviating notes: 1) You can SEE the moment Brennan starts to think that maybe Hannah's canceling because she knows about what happened with her and Booth. You can see the change from ignorance to recognition in her face. It's great. And 2) I love that Brennan still uses logical terms when talking about things Angela talked about, things that are very subjective, having-to-do-with-the-gut, etc.

And back to the main idea: Oh, Booth, this whole being ok with everything is just boring now. SHOW SOME INNER CONFLICT, DAMNIT.

I'm sorry, but with this whole situation... nobody is this understanding. Unless they're (as in the show runners) setting up for something, this is just unrealistic. I'd normally say this is an ominous foretelling, the calm before the storm, etc., but it's been going on so long that at this point it's just getting a tad boring.

However, despite my boredom, there is, actually, a very good chance this really is the calm before the storm, if only by the simple equation of the a good show, of which is Bones. Shit will be calm for awhile... maybe a long while... but eventually, eventually... the dams will break, the facades will fall, and supposed “easiness” of it all will no longer be so.

Until the end of the season, that's the reasoned prediction I'm sticking with.





7 comments:

  1. Yeah so boring it's annoying.
    I was hoping to see some inner conflict in Booth but still nothing.
    Let's be real, if your girl friend makes a move on your boyfriend you're not going to just forgive and let go and still be BFFs.
    I'm really annoyed by this surreal friendship between B and H. Much more than Booth's apathy.
    Just because they are both "strong women" doesn't mean they are necessarily going to be friends, specialy when they want the same man.

    Oh and the cocky belt buckle is a gonner. Noticed that?

    Even you lost a little bit of optimism. Maybe it means we are in the lowest curve of the roller coaster. Let's all cross our fingers...

    Carioca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm withholding judgment on the cocky belt buckle, because he hasn't always worn it in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE. If it's not there next time... then I'll have a lot to say about it ;)

    It's not that I'm losing "optimism" (what you call optimism, I just call logic), this was more critique of the show itself than the universe of the characters, if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Leila,

    I was thrilled by your post because you didn't say want so many people have said:
    that you were disappointed.

    So many fans are going into these eps expecting brilliance and feeling sad afterwards. I'm going in expecting nothing - any B&B second is a bonus, and I'm feeling ok. I used the exact term 'calm before the storm' elsewhere. It's so obvious. Things are TOO perfect.

    All I can say is 'BRING IT ON!'.

    Linda

    btw: do you post elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you have this outlook, Linda! Things aren't in the show like they used to be, yes, and sometimes it may even feel a little off or like the show is losing quality, but honestly, there's no use in getting upset about it until everything gets resolved.

    I do! I post the entries for this over at tumblr at http://everythinghappenseventuallyblog.tumblr.com/. As for personal blogs and the like, my twitter is LeilaJay (although I don't use it that often), and I have a tumblr too, I'll give you the link to it if you ask me for it in an ask box question at the everythinghappenseventuallyblog tumblr, because I'd prefer not to post the link publicly :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and that above comment is me, Leila, in case you couldn't tell ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. can't wait to read your entry about this weeks episode!
    what I meant by where else you post, was on forums, like the Lab, BY etc. Can't remember where I learnt about you...
    Oh, and you do know about Bones Theory, don't you?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, I see. Nope, I don't post anywhere else anymore (because every time I do I get waaaaaaaaaay to into over-analyzing promos and spoilers, which is NOT good for my health, lol). I know someone posted a link to here at tv.com, and I posted a link at fanforum right when I started, so. :)
    I DO know about Bones theory! A little jealous that they get so many more readers than myself, haha, but it's a marvelous blog. :)

    ReplyDelete