Sunday, September 19, 2010

In Which We Have Even MORE Trust Talk

Season 5, Episode 6
The Tough Man in the Tender Chicken 

BRENNAN: (clears throat) Attention, woodchucks! You were thorough and
assiduous in your treatment of the body and the crime scene. (woodchucks clap) But next time, please leave the evidence where you found it and let the experienced professionals do their job.

(Woodchucks making sounds in protest)

WOODCHUCK GIRL #1: But we helped!

WOODCHUCK GIRL #2: You’re mean!

(Woodchucks booing at Brennan)

BRENNAN: (to Cam and Hodgins) Their moods are capricious.

CAM: You couldn’t have just let them have that one just go by.

BRENNAN: Then they’ll never learn.


Yeah, this is why, more than any other reason, she really shouldn't raise a kid without Booth. Because he'll help her learn to not do shit like this.


Come on, Bones. Don't you remember the whole thing with your dad never letting you win in cards when you were little? DON'T BE YOUR FATHER, WOMAN.


BRENNAN: Angela and I had a fight.
BOOTH: Nothing I can do to help.
BRENNAN: You want to hear about it.
BOOTH: No.
SWEETS: Why not?
BOOTH: Because her and Angela are best friends. And Bones is gonna want me to take her side and agree Angela was wrong and those two are gonna make up, and they’re both going to be mad at me. No thank you.
SWEETS: That’s very interesting.
BOOTH: You know the way you say ‘very interesting’ is very irritating. (Sweets didn’t reply) Listen, Bones, I would do anything for you. I would die for you, I would kill for you, but I am not getting in between two best friends.



I almost didn't include this part, because even though Booth saying he would die and kill for Bones seems like it would be monumental, it's completely, one hundred percent passed over as just another part of the conversation. And, really, it makes sense that that's so. It's not news that Booth would do anything for her. He basically always has.


So, in that way, it is worth including.


BRENNAN: I’m going back to the lab. Send the fingers over when you find them. (about to leave)

BOOTH: (grabs Brennan’s hand) Whoa, Bones. Everything is going to be okay between you and Angela. Alright? You two are like sisters.

BRENNAN: I’m just not used—to not getting along with people.

SWEETS: Seriously? Cause it seems like- (Booth kicks Sweets under the table; Booth smiles at Brennan reassuring her everything will be alright)

BRENNAN: Thanks, Booth. Just bring in the human parts tomorrow and (pats his hand; giving him a reassuring smile) I’ll take a look. (walks away)


And this is another part in which I have to go teenage girl for a second:
SHUT. UP.
LOOK AT HOW HE GRABS HER HAND. LOOK AT HOW SHE HOLD ONTO HIS HAND.
SHUT UP!


I actually refuse to say anything about it. I want you to go watch it. The tenderness, the look on his face, their body language... just, go watch it. It's one of those cases where I feel if I were to go over it all, I'd be beating a dead horse.


NON B&B OBSERVATION: So, the whole Angela/Wendell thing made sense. Angela was sexually repressed like no other. She was letting it out through her concern for the baby pig. Nobody would help. Finally, Wendell comes through. Libido can't be held back any more. It made perfect sense.


Despite that, though, I didn't like it. Now that her and Hodgins are back together, it's not as big a deal, but at the time I was just like “WHAT IS THIS. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE.”



BOOTH: Bones, I’m losing it. I’m- I’m not up to speed here. I woke up this morning, and I realized I didn’t even know if I like brown sugar ion my oatmeal.

BRENNAN: Well next time, call me. You like brown sugar on everything.


She knows he likes brown sugar on everything.
<3
I love all those little nuances, when they know little things about each other. It's no big deal within the context of the scene, but the fact that they know all these things IS.


BRENNAN: (laughs; then recalls something & takes out a photo of Angela’s pig) Sweets thinks I should humor Angela.

BOOTH: Sweets is a bright kid.

BRENNAN: But I want to know what you think. As a full grown man of experience. I need to know what you think.

BOOTH: I think you should let her have this one. (Brennan smiles at him; turns to leave) Where you going? (she holds up her checkbook) What, you mean now? I don’t mean, this second.

(Brennan is seen making her way to Angela, they talk for a while before they both started smiling and hugging each other. Booth smiles while watching them. Brennan passes Angela the check. Booth observes the intimacy between Wendell and Angela before Wendell realizes. Brennan returns back to her seat)

BRENNAN: Angela seems to be very happy.

BOOTH: I can see that.

BRENNAN: You certainly said that in a funny way. (realizes that Booth is hiding something) You noticed something! See? You still got it! (smiles widely)

BOOTH: You're not gonna ask me what I saw?
BRENNAN: Do I wanna know?
BOOTH: No. (chuckles) Do you wanna know anyway?
BRENNAN: Nope! It can wait. I trust you.


It's not the first time I've said this, but trust seems to be an ongoing theme with these two. It makes sense that they'd talk about it a bit, because trust is such a big deal in a partnership like theirs, and at the same time, it acts as a sort of safe emotional thing for them to talk about, since it relates to their work, so they can very easily pretend there's no other implications behind it. And really, it's great that they do talk about it so much now, because in a relationship you have to have a foundation of trust in order for the relationship to be strong and to last, and not only will it be perfect for when they actually get together, it can actually help in the process; that trust can end up acting as a catalyst (among other things, of course) by acting as a sort of safety-net (“Oh my god, we're actually going to be a couple, this is scary... but I trust that he/she won't let me down. Ok, I can do this.” That type of thing.)

4 comments:

  1. "Insidious?" Oh, surely not. Now I'm going to go nuts trying to remember what she really said, LOL! As if I didn't already have enough about this show to drive me nuts, what with Thursday 9/23 coming up and all.

    I love this blog. I am so glad you started it, and glad you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Assiduous." That's what she said. The transcriber (or the transcriber's spellcheck) led us astray.

    "...You were thorough and assiduous in your treatment of the body..." (oh, Brennan, how redundant of you.)

    I loved the ending scene of this one. Brennan making her friend happy, Booth's expressions when he catches Wendell's casual caress of Angela's shoulder, the grins between B&B at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, thanks so much for the heads up, Mamamiau! That error slipped by me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I would kill for you, I would die for you..." Need I really say more?

    ReplyDelete