Monday, August 23, 2010

In Which Booth Starts to "Stake His Claim"


Season 1, Episode 4
The Man in the Bear

Time for some wilderness, B&B.

And we'll begin with this little gem, when Bones is protesting having to go to Washington:

Bones:  Are you suggesting that I take this opportunity to have sex with Booth on a field trip?
Dr. Goodman:  Good God, where’s Dr. Freud when you need him?

My thoughts exactly, Dr. Goodman. ;)

Booth: (laughs) You know you’re a smart ass.  You know that?
Bones:  Objectively I’d say I’m very smart although it has nothing to do with my ass.
Booth:  You know I tell you what. You can take me out to dinner. Hmm? Put me on your tab.
Bones:  That doesn’t seem ethical.
Booth:  You still want that gun now don’t ya,  Hmm?
Bones:  We’ll start with breakfast.

This part has nothing to do with anything except 1) Bones' smart ass line is one of my favorites of the whole series, 2) it's a classic example of a Booth-Bones cutesy bickering scene.

The part that does have something to with something is Booth cuts in to dance with Brennan after the three guys had passed her around, for lack of a better phrase. This is when he really starts to do all his little things to be protective of her. Yes, before he has tried to “stake his claim” on her (calling her “my forensic anthropologist” a couple episodes back), but this marks the first time he actually does anything. And he expresses his wanting to sort of “protect” her (although in a much more shallow way than he does later on in the series) even more when he's so anxious over why she didn't come to breakfast the next morning.

And that is the basic notable happening in relation to B&B's relationship for this episode, besides the typical bickering and whatnot.

So, I shall end this entry by saying: Her holding up the spoonful of cornflakes for him to eat at the very end is one of my favorite little things of theirs. I love it on a level that is disproportionate to its significance to their relationship.

But it is just plain old cute.

3 comments:

  1. I’ve been loving this so far. It’s a nice, quick recap of the B/B relationship and I’m so excited for the following episodes :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the most overtly flirtatious episodes of all; much more of a mutual attraction vibe than most later episodes I felt, which kind of reflects how little they know each other at this point. Once their friendship deepens, the more sexualised aspect of their relationship - that kind of frisson you get here - seems to settle down, and is only really amped up in certain situations. Otherwise they'd never have been able to work together I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please. Her holding up the cornflakes for him to eat solidifies exactly how close and familiar they are, with no need for things like personal space.

    LOVE.

    ReplyDelete